That Life Update I Previously Mentioned


  This post will be a mashup between a Life Update, December Wrap Up, New Years Post, and What I Read Post. I always knew I was good at multi-tasking!! *not really* Shall we begin?



Lately I've been Busy with:

  School. Well, the past two weeks have been break, but before that I've been busy with school. As I mentioned a while ago, I switched from homeschool to Public School, and have now been attending Waterloo Oxford District Secondary School since September 2016.

 It's been going well, really well actually, but the initial switch was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The first two weeks were miserable. I was so emotionally and mentally overwhelmed, with the schedule, the people, the settings, and the vibes, if you know what I mean. I've been away from home before, I've been around other kids plenty, but never in such a concentrated dose.

  I had to adjust to leaving home at 7:47 every morning, and coming home at 3:00. I had to get used to being around all sorts of kids, good and bad. I had to get used to being around so many people. I had to get used to finding my way around the school, and working my way through classes. And I also had to get used to being the new girl. And being the new girl is hard.

  I had tons of amazing Christian friends who attend the same school, so I was never 100% new. I had people to eat lunch with, and who I knew I could always find and talk too. But I didn't have any of my close friends in many of my classes. I had to get used to walking into a classroom and sitting down not knowing anyone, not having anyone to chat with. And that was hard.

   I'd been in situations where I'd had to meet new people, and make conversation, just not to this extent. It was weird, and it was scary, and it was overwhelming. I like to think I'm a reasonably easy person to talk to. And it's not like the kids in my classes were mean, or ignored me. It's just sometimes you crave a familiar face, and you dreadfully want someone to talk to. And I didn't have that for the first two weeks. Add to that some confusion with dropping two classes, Drama and Media Arts, and the first two weeks were not fun. At All.

    But I don't want people feeling bad about it, because I learned so much, I grew so much, and I grew so much closer to the Lord. I learned to lean on him in those classes where I didn't know anyone, and I learned to draw on his peace, when I just wanted to cry and go home. I grew closer to him, and to my other friends. I learned the value of true friends, and I've met so many great people as well. And I learned to trust his plan, that he had called me to Public School , and that I was in the place I needed to be.

  Fastforward to today, and me wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket, listening to the Cinderella soundtrack. I've fit in at school. I've met friends, I've learned my way around, I can manage homework. I'm in two school choirs, and I absolutely love the teachers in the music department. They are both strong Christians, which means that they aren't afraid to teach hymns and sacred music in choir, which is unheard of in Public Schools. Our Principal is also a strong Christian, and the sweetest woman alive. I love school, and even though I don't want break to end, I'm ready to head back there on Monday morning.



Reading: 

I'm currently reading the third book in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and OH MY SOUL I LOVE IT!!!

The books I read in 2016 were:

- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Forbidden City by William Bell
- The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by A. Conan-Doyle
- Garden of Madness by Tracy L. Higley
- Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
- Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin
- The Fault in our Stars by John Green
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Doon: A Doon Novel by Carrie Corp and Laurie Langdon
- Destined for Doon by Carrie Corp and Laurie Langdon
-Shades of Doon by Carrie Corp and Laurie Langdon
- The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
-The Elite by Kiera Cass
- The One by Kiera Cass
- The Heir by Kiera Cass
- The Crown by Kiera Cass
- Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead *re-read*
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas



Watching: 

    A variety of things! I'm currently watching a show called Vikings with my Dad and oldest brother. There are few questionable scenes to fast forward and it can get a little intense at times, so it's not for younger viewers, and I recommend others read some more in depth reviews of the content before watching. Nonetheless, it's this epic show about the famous viking Ragnor Lothbrook and all of his exploits. It's incredibly historically accurate and I love it.

I also have watched:

-Broadchurch: a murder mystery show set in Scotland, starring David Tennant.
-Merlin: AGHH ITS SO GOOD WATCH IT
-Season 5 of Once Upon a Time: So I seriously missed that show. A lot. And Season 5 was so good. Agh.
- Gilmore Girls, Friends, How I Met Your Mother: So I actually haven't finished any of these shows, because I discovered I have a *very* low tolerance for sit coms.

  And I've been waiting to watch Sherlock Series 4. I saw the first episode, and am waiting for the rest. Oh my word I'm excited and terrified. Because Steven Moffat is cruel, that's why!!



Listening To: 

   Broadway. So much Broadway. ALL the Broadway. Wicked, Finding Neverland, Les Mis, Hamilton, In the Heights, Jersey Boys, Hairspray, Rent, Grease. It's amazing. I love it. Yes. I've also enjoyed:

-Pentatonix
-Passenger
-The Lumineers
-Hillsong
-Mumford and Sons
-Leslie Odom Jr.
-Various Soundtracks.



Excited For: 

    Lots of things! I'm terribly excited for all the new movies coming out, like Beauty and the Beast, POTC 5, Thor Ragnarok, and more.
 
My dad and I are going to see Passenger live this March break, which will be epic.

I'm auditioning for a role in the ensemble for  Mary Poppins, that our local Theatre Group is performing this May. My audition is next Sunday. I am terrified. And excited of course.

My youth group is going to a huge conference in Florida for all of the Mennonite youth across North America, which is exciting.



Enjoying: 

My last day and a half of school free bliss.

The snow and gloriously cold weather we have right now.

My bedroom. Seriously, its chalk full of books and twinkle lights, and Narnia quotes, and book references, and candles and music and happiness. Room tour coming soon.

Seeing friends and family. We visited family in the States during the first week of Christmas Break, which was lovely.

Singing. Preparing for an audition means lots of Karaoke in my bedroom. And listening to new Broadway shows means tons of new songs to sing. It's loads of fun.



In 2017 I'm Hoping To:

Read more. Sing more. Play piano more. Get outside, and off technology. Blog more with all of you beautiful people!!

Continue to stretch myself, in as many ways possible.

GET INTO MARY POPPINS!!!!

Act more.

CUTE DOGGO PUP FOR YOU 



   That's all for now dearies!! I'm about to go old book shopping with my mum and then come back and watch old 80's romances like Grease and Dirty Dancing. It will be good.

What are some of your goals for 2017?
What was the best book you read in 2016? 

And now I will leave you with an inspiring New Year's type of quote.



Comments

  1. Aww, I'm sorry you had a rough experience during the first few weeks of school. If public school is ever a viable option for me(which I don't think it will be at this point, but who knows), I'm not sure whether I'd be miserable, or I'd enjoy the challenge. It sounds super scary to be honest. *hides under blanket* xD

    But I'm glad you're liking it now! Life is always better when you're enjoying school. ;P

    Oooh, I also read Animal Farm this year. It was better than I expected.

    AHHH I HAVE TO WATCH MERLIN.

    Broadway equals yesss. Have you tried Newsies?

    Oh, best wishes for your auditioning! It sounds like a great opportunity. :)

    Mmmm, bedroom decorations make things so happy, huh? I should post a room tour someday...

    "Read more. Sing more. Play piano more. Get outside, and off technology. Blog more with all of you beautiful people!!" Sounds solid:)

    AWWW THE PUPPY.

    And to answer your questions,

    1). "Talk less, smile more" from Hamilton(haha) and a host of others.

    2). Excluding re-reads, Rilla of Ingleside. It was GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally loving it now!!! Honestly, you'd do fine if you ever went. It seems scary but compared to other things in life it's nothing. ;)

      Wasn't it??? Animal Farm was so intense and crazy to read. I'm reading Lord of the Flies in English this year, and it reminds me of Animal Farm.

      YES WATCH IT PLEASEEEEE YOU WILL LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!

      No, I haven't! I've heard so much about it, I really should....

      Thank you so much! I'm replying to this super late, so I can say it went pretty well. I'm waiting for results now. *THE AGONY*

      YES TO THE HAMILTON REFERENCE!!! I love it so much ;D!!

      Ohhh I've heard so much about it. I really should read it!!!

      Delete
  2. LITERALLY I WOULD JUST LIKE TO FLAIL ABOUT HILLSONG. And every other group on your list. BUT MAINLY HILLSONG. I am very picky with the Christian music I listen to mainly because I've grown up hearing the same stuff over and over and it now mostly just sounds like noise, but Hillsong restored my faith in the Christian music industry. It's such a breath of fresh air. I've been listening to it like crazy recently. :)

    Good luck for your audition!!! You're going to nail it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I love them, they have amazing songs. Like seriously, soooo good.

      Thank you soooo much!!!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading this, Abigail!!!

    Ooo...I sooooo want to read Hood!!!

    Your auditioning for MARY POPPINS?! Sounds AWESOME!!! You got this! :D

    I look forward to a room tour!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I'm so glad!!

      Oh please do!! I feel like no one has read it, so I need people to talk about it with.

      YES I AM!! It's so epic and exciting and I can't wait!!

      I totally need to do one like really, really, soon. Or a bookshelf tour at the very least....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts